Over the years we have heard and dealt with so many potential issues and solutions with wall decals and we wanted to share our top tips on installing and reusing/removing them.
Peel and stick wall decals have come a very long way since tatouage (rub on decals) and cut outs that required paste to install. Now, there are really two types of decals, transfer decals and peel and stick decals. This post is going to focus on peel and stick decals with tips on transfer decals coming soon. Peel and stick wall decals come on a backing paper and are die cut into the vinyl so you can just peel them off the paper and smooth them onto the wall. The majority of the ones made can be removed and reused if done correctly.
Some of the top vendors in this category are Roommates Decor , Wallies, Wall Pops and Fathead. All of the vendors mentioned carry decal lines for the nursery, kids rooms, home decor, and wall words. Fathead carries thousands of licensed items, most specifically sports decals featuring your favorite players in the NBA, NFL, NHL and MLB. Roommates Decor carries hundreds of licensed kids wall decals from Disney, Marvel and many more.
Here are out top install tips for peel and stick decals:
- make sure the surface you want the decal on is smooth and clean. Meaning, no texture (although mild and flat texture like orange peel is normally ok) and wipe down the surface with a dry cloth to remove any dust or debris.
- a laser level is your friend. Much easier (and you don’t risk damage to your walls) than bulky metal levels, a laser level is amazing at making sure your decals line up and look great.
- peel the decal off the paper slowly. Although many are made of thicker high grade vinyl, you can stretch out the decal if you pull it to aggressively.
- use your credit card to help smooth out the decals from the inside out or from one side to the other. It is much easier to peel off and adjust placement if all the sides are not smoothed down. A credit card will help take out any air bubbles so you do not have to keep peeling it up. Just push and gently guide the air bubble to the edge of the decal.
- your last choice of interior walls to install decals on is an “exterior wall” (inside of an exterior wall of your home) Those walls are generally more sensitive to temperature changes and that can affect your decals staying on the wall.
- never install decals over or under a heat source. They will promptly peel off or curl at the edges.
- if you have just painted the room I know it is exciting and you will want to install the decals right away to decorate the room. But your best bet is to hold off for about two weeks to allow the paint to cure. Installing decals on uncured paint is asking for all sorts of issues, including ripping the paint off the wall when you remove the decals!
- which leads me into removing your wall decals. If you are not reusing a wall decal and want to get it off quickly and with no damage, use a hair dryer on medium setting on the decal. It will lift up and then you simply peel the decal up and discard it. If you are reusing it, slide your nail or thin blade gently under the decal and slowly lift up without pulling to hard.
- if there is residue on the wall, or an outline of the decal left, we recommend using a magic eraser on the wall, wet and wrung out. Gently go over the outline or residue and it should come right up.
- Want to reuse the decals and move them to another room, house or just hold off a minute? Use wax paper to put the decals on (sticky side to the wax paper) and just roll up the wax paper loosely to transport or save. It is the next best thing to the original paper they come on.
I hope you have enjoyed our tips and if you have any questions on your install, please feel free to reach out to us via email, we have just about installed it all and would be happy to help!
With the newest Spider-Man movie just out with rave reviews, there is a whole new batch of Spidey fans out there. From making his debut in 1962 in the comic book Amazing Fantasy #15, Spider-Man has spun his web over several generations. Spider-Man is easily one of the most recognized “Superheroes” in the Marvel Universe, and if you have a little (or big:) Spider-Man fan, then we have the wall decor for you!
Into the Spider-Verse has two options just out, a giant Miles Morales Spider-Man, and matching decals from the movie featuring Miles Morales, Peter Parker, Spider-Man, Spider-Woman and more. Make with high quality vinyl, made to simply peel and stick, these decals can be used again and again. Put them on walls, doors, mirrors, furniture…man cave walls….any clean smooth surface will work.
Perhaps you like the more traditional Spider-Man, or the Classic Spider-Man? Both are great options and are available as giant peel and stick wall decals as well. We showcase a huge assortment of Superhero decals, maybe match them up with other ones from the Marvel Universe. Perfect for over a bed or dresser, in the playroom, and the best part is your child can help you put them up in just minutes. Not where you want them? Just peel them off and start over. Moving and want to take the decals with you? If you do not have the original paper they came on then lay them on wax paper and roll them up. Its really that simple. Just be sure to make sure your paint is cured (about 2 weeks after you paint) to install.
If you have a full wall (or chair rail) to work with, then these showstopping XL wall murals are the way to go. Measuring 6.5′ high by 10′ wide, they are made of surestrip, which means they come off with ease and leave no damage to the walls. At all. And they come in multiple panels for easy installation. The pattern is already lined up so once you have the first one up, it is a breeze from there. There are several options for Spider-Man in these murals, my favorite is the web slinging one, it’s just so iconic!
Check out the entire selection of Spider-Man decals here and have fun creating your Superhero lair!
When it comes to wallpaper a few things come to mind. One, it is labor intensive and sometimes feels overwhelming to tackle a wallpaper project on your own. It requires paste and drying times and can get a little messy. In the back of your mind you are worried if you will ever get if off your wall, like when you moved into that house that had 6 layers of wallpaper from the 70’s! And the patterns….what if you choose new furniture a few years from now and it doesn’t match the walls?
Wallpaper has come a long way since then. Even pre-pasted wallpaper doesn’t take days and tools and sprays and a LOT of arm work to get off anymore. But let me bring you an even better option which is one of the most popular wallpaper options out there right now………
Temporary, peel and stick wallpaper. Just cut to size….peel….and smooth onto the wall.
It really is just that easy. Today we are featuring Tempaper, who’s dedication to stellar wall paper design without long term commitment is their thing! They have created dozens of patterns for your home, alongside some amazing designers. Bobby Berk Home, Cynthia Rowley, Genevieve Gorder to name a few.
Here are some fabulous features about Tempaper:
- Lead-free, phthalate-free and VOC-free
- Tempaper should be applied to surfaces that are in good condition and have been painted with an eggshell, satin or semi-gloss paints
- Eco-friendly and safe anywhere
They offer so many gorgeous patterns, from soothing detailed floral prints, to funky geometrics and even have a paint your own peel and stick wallpaper!
Check out the entire collection here, and get ready to change your walls in minutes with Tempaper’s fabulous collection!
So we just added these very popular and stunning Giant Peony peel and stick wall decals from Simple Shapes. The possibilities are just endless with these beauties. Nursery, bedroom, living room, office, up a staircase, around doorways and cabinets….I think you get my point…there are so many places you can use these decals.
Available in white, several shades of pinks and a show stopping black and white, it is hard for me to decide my favorite. I would recommend installing them on a lighter color paint so they really stand out. They are made of high quality adhesive fabric decals and are removable and reusable. Need to move your furniture around and replace the decals? No problem, just peel gently off the wall and re-adhere to wherever you need. And did I mention that is with no damage to your walls?
Each Wall Decal Kit comes with:
6 Separate peonies ranging in size from 14″w x 14″h to 26″w x 30″h
22 Separate leaves ranging in size from 2″w x 5″h to 12″w x 15″h
7 Large Leaves
15 Small Leaves
Check out the whole collection here and happy shopping!!
Thank you for stopping by Wall Sticker Outlet!!